We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open." ~ Jawaharlal Nehru

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Baking Adventure With a Two-Year-Old

On Monday I started baby-sitting an adorable little two-year-old boy, named JJ. I still wanted to bake, so I knew that I had two options . . . either bake while he is napping or try baking with him! Since I had run out of eggs yesterday that meant that either I had to go to the store (yuck) or not make English Muffins like I was planning on doing this week.  I decided that it would be just as easy to make PIZZA for lunch with him!

A couple weeks ago, Roland and I had made up a bunch of pizza dough and froze it, so it was as simple as one, two, three! After defrosting the dough over night in the fridge all we had to do is: roll the dough out, put the sauce and cheese on, then cook it! Pretty simple! JJ had fun helping me out! He helped at each step, and had to taste test everything that we did . . . yep, even the dough! He liked the cheese the best and was busy picking the cheese off and eating it almost as fast as I was trying to shred it and put it on!

After it was done cooking, it was LUNCH TIME!!! So, we got to try our creation right away! JJ told me that it was “YUMMY!” Even though I had lots of fun helping him roll out the dough and spread the sauce, I have decided that unless I am going to bake something that is pretty simple and doesn’t take that much time to make, I will just bake during his nap time! I don’t want him to get board with it or frustrated with a more complex recipe, but I do think that the next time I bake cookies, I will have to use my little helper!
My little helper with flour on his face with our creation before it goes into the oven!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you were adventurous and made lunch pizza with him! Keep doing it while talking about the steps and what you two are doing etc. It is good for kids to cook! Cookies to have ready for cookies and milk when Roland arrives home would be a treat for all of you! (Send a few of his creations home with him to share with his Mommy for their desert for supper!)

    Another one that you girls enjoyed helping make was homemade macaroni and cheese.

    Keep on making your "fancy" cooking and sharing it. I guess, just be creative about when you do the fancy cooking! Nap times are great times!

    ReplyDelete