We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open." ~ Jawaharlal Nehru

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Delicious French Toast

Yesterday I came home from work feeling very productive, so I made my sweetheart something yummy to start his day off with! This doesn't happen very often do to the fact that I work from 11:00 at night to 7:00 in the morning. But on days that I do feel in the mood to spoil him, and he don't have to have hard crunchy cereal, I try to go the extra mile. So I made Strawberry Stuffed French Toast! :)

Now, anyone who knows me and my great skill in the kitchen, will know that this must be a fairly simple and easy to make meal, and they would be right! :) Lucky for me and Roland, I do know how to follow a recipe, so most things that I make do turn out to taste on the good side! So, I know that you are just dieing to find out what is in this recipe of mine, so here we go! :)

Chocolate and Strawberry Stuffed French Toast

Ingredients

  • 4-8 slices of your favorite bread (I go with whole wheat)
  • 1/4 cup (50 mL) cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup (50 mL) semisweet chocolate chips (Optional)
  • 1/4 cup (50 mL) strawberry jam
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup (50 mL) milk
  • 2 tbsp. (30 mL) granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp. (5 mL) vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp. (15 mL) butter
  • powdered sugar for dusting
  • maple syrup and fresh strawberries as accompaniment 

Cooking Instructions

  1.  Mix the cream cheese and strawberry jam together in a bowl. To make it easier to mix, heat it up for about 30-45 seconds in the microwave.
  2. Take two slices of bread and lay them open like you're making a sandwich. Spread one slice of bread with some of the cream cheese and strawberry jam mixture. If you want to use chocolate chips, sprinkle some on the top of the sauce before closing the sandwich. Repeat the proses until you have enough for each person. (Usually makes about four sandwiches.) If desired you can save some of the sauce and use it as your syrup.
  3. In a bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla. Dip the stuffed bread sandwiches into the egg mixture, turning to soak both sides evenly. (Do this one at a time, then cook them or you will make a mess of the egg mixture!)
  4. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the stuffed bread to the pan and cook, turning each slice over several times to let it brown evenly and allow the heat to penetrate and melt the chocolate -- about 5 or 6 minutes total. Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve with powdered sliced fresh strawberries and maple syrup. 
  5. With the extra egg mixture you can make into scrambled eggs to create a nice side.
 I chose to spread some of the extra cream cheese sauce on top, were Roland enjoyed his with the homemade maple syrup he had made last week. This recipe serves about two people with enough for two sandwiches each. I hope you enjoy this simply delicious spin on french toast! :)
This is a picture of how mine turned out. We had some charry chocolates so I added them on the side to add a little somethin' somethin'! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment